Thursday, November 27, 2008

Copernican Revolution (Jeremy)

Under a whirring fan in a near windowless church, thirteen teenagers and I sit in a circle and consider a world with someOne other than self at its axis. I reference the earth's orbit around the sun, attempting to draw some parallel to Jesus as the glorious center and His influence upon the trajectory of our lives. I'm thinking, "this will bring it home for them." But, the analogy lands with a thud.

-"Are you saying that we're moving?"

-"I don't feel like I'm moving."

One guy is shifting his weight from one foot to the other - apparently to make sure the ground beneath is still solid.

-"Well then, where does night come from?"

And so the analogy consumes that which it attempts to explain, and I find myself in the middle of a Physics lesson. We discuss their questions, transition rather ungracefully back to the original point and close in prayer. I'm laughing at myself and thinking, "we could use some more windows in this church."

No comments: